Currently Reading

Sunday 29 April 2018

REVIEW: Mine by Susi Fox


Mine by Susi Fox
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 29th April 2018
Purchase: Amazon

★★★ 3 stars

The premise for this book sounded really interesting, as did the first few pages or so. But then it just seemed to reverberate the same thing over and over.

Waking up after an emergency caesrean, Sasha Moloney is desperate to see her baby. She believed she was having a girl so when she is presented with a baby boy she finds she has no connection with this child at all. Convinced her baby has been swapped for another, Sasha sets about finding her own baby. She stares at the child in the humidy crib labelled as her's, whilst systematically scouring the nursery and all the other babies for her own. She was convinced she would just KNOW when she found "her". But none of them seemed to be her baby.

She brought up her fears with her husband Mark, who appeared to believe her, but then betrayed her when he spoke to the doctors and nursing staff about her allegations. And then as is to confound that betrayal of not being believed, she was then admitted to the mental health unit "for mothers". Sasha felt she couldn't trust anyone - all except Bec, who was on the other side of the world in London amidst her own battle of trying to conceive. Bec was the only one who believed her. Then her psychiatrist began bringing up her past, the abandonment and truth about her mother, things only Mark could have known and disclosed. She felt betrayed once again. No one believed her, and believed she would go the same way as her mother. When the end did come around, it was ultimately heartbreaking....and unexpected.

I have to admit, Sasha even appeared to be almost psychotic. Her behaviour and her continual conveyed desperation, she really did seem delusional. As a reader I found it hard to believe her. But then never having been in that situation, nor not being a mother myself I guess I cannot imagine her desperation. Maybe that's why I found her unbelievable at times. But there were other times she made complete sense and I found myself believing her.

At the end, I'm in two minds about this book. On the one hand I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would but on the other, it was brilliant. I'll let others be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment