Currently Reading

Sunday 13 May 2018

REVIEW: Follow Me by Angela Clarke


Follow Me (Social Media Murders #1) by Angela Clarke
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 13th May 2018
Purchase: Amazon

★★★ 3 stars

The premise for this book got me in right away that I thought would be an exciting read. However, it wasn't as enthralling as I'd hoped it to be. The idea of a murderer using social media was indeed an enticing prospect.

It begins with the main character Freddie Venton, wannabe journalist, finding herself in a nightmarish scene which quickly rewinds back several hours which in turn led her to be there. Sounds interesting enough. I guess I found the idea of Freddie living in a cramped 2 bed flat with two friends with her bedroom also being the loungeroom a little off-putting. Then her constant struggle to get that perfect story to pay her well. To me it just wasn't interesting. And her current job doing the graveyard shift at Espresso-oh! with a pig of a boss just irritated me. Then her old best friend from school obviously uncomfortable with her sudden reappearance in her new life I found Nas a bit snobbish. The story as a whole was OK. I didn't even pick the killer till near the end. Just the few little things that irritated me about some of the characters and all just didn't do it for me.

Having said that, I still relatively enjoyed the book. However, I did prefer "Friend Request" by Laura Marshall which also utilises social media to an extent. I found that a far more thrilling read.

No comments:

Post a Comment