Currently Reading

Tuesday 22 May 2018

REVIEW: Little Liar by Clare Boyd


Little Liar by Clare Boyd
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Domestic Thriller
Read: 22nd May 2018
Purchase: Amazon

★★★★ 4 stars

LITTLE LIAR is the debut thriller by Clare Boyd, though it certainly isn't a psychological thriller - more domestic thriller, I guess, as most others are saying as well.

I didn't know what to expect from this book but it certainly wasn't this! It was a lot different from the synopsis blurb on the back cover - or in my case, the website. If you have read the blurb, forget it. What is outlined in there doesn't happen right away. And one of the things mentioned doesn't even happen until the book just about ends! And I'm talking about 85 or 90% into the book! The synopsis is like a newspaper headline - there to get you in but is overall misleading. However, having said that, it was still a good book - enjoyable, even if a lot of it was drawn out and made the book seem longer than it actually was.

So the main players are Gemma, her husband Peter, and their children Rosie (10) and Noah (6); Mira, the next door neighbour, her husband Barry; Gemma's mother Helen - though her part is small, there at the beginning and at the end but not really in between. And then we meet Mira's mother and sister through her flashbacks. There are a few others I could mention but their parts are fairly minimal.

So basically the story begins with one of Rosie's tantrums - and believe me, there are many - which Mira can hear from next door. However, she interprets the screams differently and toys with the idea whether to get involved or not. When she does call the police, I'm surprised her claims are taken as seriously as they are - though I guess when it comes to allegations of that that nature they are always taken seriously - because quite honestly, Mira is the most unreliable character with obvious personal problems stemming from a loveless and harrowing childhood herself. What she does is mirror her own childhood with that of Rosie's, sending Gemma's life into complete turmoil.

And then there is Rosie herself. OMG....don't get me started on her! She is cunning with the ability to manipulate others throwing tantrums like I eat chocolate - and they are excessive to say the least! I know children can be difficult and I know they have their own personalities as well as their own ways of interpreting life as they know it. But Rosie? When I was her age I never EVER behaved the way she does. If I spoke to my parents the way Rosie does and pushed the boundaries like she does, I would have been grounded till I was 25! I can sympathise with Gemma when trying to deal with Rosie, because in that situation you really just would not know what to do to diffuse the situation. And even when she tried, Rosie just took it as a rebuttal and confirmation of her mother's indifference. And her constant screaming...I cannot abide screaming. And Rosie's excessive screaming was just that - EXCESSIVE. I am surprised Gemma didn't slap her, because I would have gotten that PLUS my father's strap if I behaved the way she did. Anyway, that aside (it seriously drove me up the wall so much so that I was considering abandoning the book because I could not deal with her abhorrent tantrums), Rosie's behaviour could also indicate some underlying issue. And although it did to some extent, I was expecting it to reveal something probably far more disturbing - particularly due to the excessive tantrums and behaviour - but by the end I found her behaviour inexcusable when it didn't lead to anything more than an insecure and even ungrateful child. Harsh? Maybe, but essentially that's really all she was.

And what of Rosie's diary? I thought that would have ended up more revealing by the time her mother and grandmother began reading it. And after all the trouble they went to to break into it, they didn't seem to spend much time reading it!

Mira was clearly disturbed though I felt for her towards the end...and then she clearly revealed just how unhinged she was. I enjoyed learning about her past, as it really gave an insight into who she was and why.

While Gemma's husband Peter and her mother Helen, as well as Mira's husband Barry were also pivotal characters to the story, Gemma, Rosie and Mira are the main players.

LITTLE LIAR is a slow burning thriller, which does take some getting into, but by the end is a good read. The ending does raise a few questions that will leave the reader wondering which isn't a bad thing. I normally prefer a neat and tidy closure but this will leave you drawing your own conclusions. I will say one thing - I still wouldn't trust Rosie.

No comments:

Post a Comment