Currently Reading

The Doctor's Child by Daniel Hurst
Published: 1st May 2024

Tuesday 1 August 2017

REVIEW: Follow You Home by Mark Edwards


Follow You Home by Mark Edwards
Genre: Mystery, Psychological Thriller
Read: 1st August 2017
Purchase: Amazon


★★★★★ 5 stars

The fact I read this book within 24 hours probably gives it away how much I enjoyed it. I love psychological thrillers that make you and the narrator of the story think they're going slightly crazy...but you just know it will end with a perfectly logical explanation. And this one did not disappoint. It's only the second book by Mark Edwards I've read - the first being "The Magpies" and that was suitably psychological too.

For the most half of the book you are left wondering what really happened in the forest? In that creepy house that looked as if it was inhabited by the local witch? And throughout the story we are dropped little tidbits here and there as Dan begins to tell the story to, first, his therapist and then his best friend Jake. But never quite the whole story. Until finally he does. It's shocking yes, but not quite as shocking as how Laura sees it. And therein lies the real story...the real terror.

As the reader you find yourself trying to piece it all together, and wondering how it does all fit together. Honestly, I couldn't put it down till I found out. I loved how the story switches between the present and the past as more and more is revealed each time. And how each perspective changes - from Dan in the first person to each of the other players told in the third. It gave you a peak into each of their perspectives. But it was through Dan's eyes we saw the tale unfold. And then the twist at the end!! I must admit, I only saw that coming as the Epilogue unfolded...and it all made sense. But what a twist. Very Hitchcockian.

Brilliantly told. A definite must read. However, for me, there is no way Dan and Laura could ever be truly happy again. Not because of what happened, but because of what it did. Without giving away any spoilers that's all I'll say. Once you've read it, you'll know.

No comments:

Post a Comment