Currently Reading

Saturday 2 September 2017

REVIEW: 99 Red Balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter


99 Red Balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 2 September 2017
Purchase: Amazon

★★★★★ 5 stars

** spoiler alert **
I recently read a negative review about this book and upon reading it myself in just two days, I wondered if they had been reading the same book! Their biggest issue was the various perspectives each chapter was told from, finding it disjointed and the characters without substance. But I have to disagree. I have recently come to love and appreciate books written with various perspectives dedicated to every other chapter. It tells the various stories within the story of each character. And you find yourself enthralled within each story that ultimately leads to the bigger picture/story.

This book begins with a little girl outside a sweet shop talking to a man, and despite the dangers she has been warned about, even stating such to the man, she goes with him. The ensuing chapters are then narrated respectively from Stephanie's and Maggie's perspective. The untitled chapters are then from the little girl and the mystery man...blending past into present. And therein those untitled chapters lies a twist within itself....when you find out they are not two perspectives, but four! This maybe where the negative reviewer got herself lost...it's easy to if you don't notice the little differences and see the twist. As the book does tell of the disappearance of two girls decades apart, you find within those chapters you are hearing from both girls respectively. Yes, it may seem confusing, but believe me it all falls into place with a twist that leaves you on the edge of your seat! 

I loved this book! The fact it is a debut for this autbor did not deter me, as the description was enough to get me interested. I can't wait for more thrilling tales from Elisabeth Carpenter.

No comments:

Post a Comment