Currently Reading

Thursday 7 September 2017

REVIEW: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 7th September 2017
Purchase: Amazon

★★★★★ 5 stars

You truly feel a little like a voyeur reading this book. As if you're the girl on the train, peeking into others' lives and deriving a fantasy from it. It's a sad tale in a way about a series of events told through the eyes of three women - Rachel (the girl on the train), Megan and Anna. And throughout the entire tale I shifted between liking and loathing along with sympathy and irritation for both Rachel and Megan. Anna, I just didn't like at all. Their respective husbands I had little faith in. Scott is jealous and paranoid, with a tendency toward violence. Tom, I just didn't trust at all. I mean, he cheated on Rachel with Anna - what's to say he wouldn't do it again? Then there was the therapist, Kamal Abdir, who crossed professional and ethical boundaries when he succumbed to Megan's need for sex.

As Megan's story is told in historic snippets from her perspective, while Rachel's and Anna's are in the here and now, and learn of her sad past you begin feel a sympathy for her. Why she is afraid to sleep at night, and why she can't. Her promiscuity. Her rebellion. Her losses. Her sadness. Her shame. And Rachel...you spend half the book wanting to slap her! But you also feel her pain, her confusion, her guilt, her shame.

The book really gets you in. I mean REALLY. I started it just before midnight Sunday night and finished it at 4am Tuesday morning. Read in two sittings. I did not want to put it down. I wanted to see if I was right. If my suspicions on Rachel's behalf were right. And was I?

Just as train stopped at that same signal every morning, I saw it coming. But will you? Read it and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment