Currently Reading

Sunday 10 September 2017

REVIEW: Into the Water by Paula Hawkins


Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 10th September 2017
Purchase: Amazon

★★★★★ 5 stars

I was actually recommended NOT to bother with this book...but I'm glad I did! Admittedly, it was slow going at first, mainly because there were so many different perspectives that it was hard to -remember who was who and where they fitted in to the story. But after about 10-15%, I got into the swing of things, despite a few more perspectives being added to the story I was still able to follow it as each chapter was cleverly woven into the next - including the excerpts from Nel's book about the Drowning Pool - they just came together to weave this thrilling, chilling and eerie tale dating back to the 1600s to the present (2015). I wasn't sure I would like it but I did. I loved it!

The story begins with a partial excerpt from Nel's book from Libby's perspective, though no date is attached at this point which probably adds to the confusion so I will say Libby is from the 1600s. It then flows into Jules who, I would say if the book were to be written in the one first person perspective, would be the main character. Like a patchwork quilt, each chapter is like a new patch which on its own can seem confusing and senseless, but once the pieces start weaving together you begin to see the final product. It really is quite clever. While there is no death within the present "live" narrative, as it tells of the aftermath of each of the deaths tying them together with those of the "suspected" witches in the early 17th and 20th centuries - all within the drowning pool and the secrets that it, and the village of Beckford, keeps. It is cleverly told and even when the "truth" comes out, you may or may not be prepared for the final reveal within the last lines. For me, while I was half expecting it and half not, it still managed to pack that thrilling punch which leaves you with that "WOW!" feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment