Currently Reading

The Doctor's Child by Daniel Hurst
Published: 1st May 2024

Sunday 14 January 2018

REVIEW: The Cold Cold Sea by Linda Huber


The Cold, Cold Sea by Linda Huber
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 14th January 2018
Purchase: Amazon

★★★★★ 5 stars

OMG! What a powerful read this book was! This is my second book I have read by Linda Huber - the first being The Attic Room (which I loved) - and I must say I love her style.

It's every parent's worst nightmare. 3 year old Livvy goes missing on a secluded Cornwall beach, leaving her parents Maggie and Colin frantically searching. It is soon believed that Livvy drowned in the sea. The tragedy puts a strain on Maggie's and Colin's marriage while their remaining child, Joe, struggles to find normalcy in a life without his little sister.

Then there is Phillip and Jennifer Marshall. At the beginning, I was wondering where Phillip came into the story as he was in California and I was thinking "how is this to do with the story?" But all is revealed as the story unfolds.

Two families who have lost their daughters of similar age in tragic circumstances. As the story unfolds, their own stories become entwined with the other. It is a heartbreaking story and I found myself become rather emotional in the penultimate climax to the end. It is a sad story, a tragic story, one that is felt deeply as a reader (and not even a mother). 

A real page-turner that will keep you reading long into the night, and without giving away spoilers, "The Cold Cold Sea" left me feeling a little sad for a couple of the characters, despite the tragedy. Because they too experienced it...and left them severely scarred. A fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment