Currently Reading

The Doctor's Child by Daniel Hurst
Published: 1st May 2024

Saturday 20 January 2018

REVIEW: Falling by Emma Kavanagh


Falling by Emma Kavanagh
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Read: 20th January 2018
Purchase: Amazon

★★ 2 stars

What can I possibly say about this book? The synopsis showed it had promise...but that was where it ended. So many times whilst reading I found myself thinking if I should continue. But I did...hoping it would get better. It didn't.

It begins with a plane crash. A plane falling from the sky. And sadly it did not stop there. The book just seemed to continue "falling". The story is told from four perspectives, that interweave together to paint the bigger picture. I don't mind different perspectives, as they really tell so many different sides of the same story and make it interesting at the same time. But this one would have been better if the story ended on that Welsh mountainside with the plane. I did not like Cecilia from the get go. I found her cold and unlikeable and utterly bloody depressing. Her husband Tom was marginally better, but he was really a fool to stay in a loveless marriage with such an unlikeable woman. Therefore he was a little depressing. Freya, the daughter of the pilot of the plane, I found somewhat detached, but then she was no stranger to her father and his secrets so growing up in their house would surely be bound to leave some scars. Another depressing story behind their walls. Jim, the retired police superintendant, was probably the only likeable character in the book, but as he was also the father of a murdered young woman, he was also rather depressing as well.

So I guess you could say in all, they were all rather depressing. The only one I found somewhat cheerful was Maisie Collins - the elderly woman Cecilia rescued from the plane crash. Despite losing the love of her life and husband of nearly 60 years, she still had a cheerful outlook. Unlike the rest of them.

When Cecilia walked along the cliff edge watching the seagulls, I found myself willing her to do everyone a favour and jump. While her past story was a sad one, she just didn't move on from it and it ended up defining her as a cold unlikeable and depressing woman. I think her jumping from that cliff would have been an apt ending.

And as this is the first Emma Kavanagh book I have read, I certainly hope the others are a far better read than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment