Currently Reading

Monday 3 July 2017

REVIEW: The Royal Nanny By Karen Harper


The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper
Genre: Historical, Biographical
Read: 3rd July 2017
Purchase: Amazon

★★★★★ 5 stars

What a wonderful book! Although it is based on actual events, some of the story is fictionalised but that makes it so much more beautiful and heartwarming. I found myself in Lala's shoes, seeing, doing and feeling everything she did in this book. The romantic in me was of course disappointed with the Chad and Charlotte outcome, but in those times nannies were single women. There was never going to be a truly happy ending for them. 

I enjoyed learning more about who was who and where they fit on the royal family tree, so when young Bertie struggled with his stuttering as a young boy I found myself wondering if he grew up to be King George VI and our present Queen's father, as I knew he stuttered. I really didn't like David, the actual heir. He was spoils and entitled and selfish. The most decent thing he did was to abdicate when marrying Wallis Simpson, paving the way for young Bertie to take the reigns as King.

But the story was about Lala's, Charlotte Bill - the Royal nanny to the young Royal children - and life seen through her eyes. It was beautiful, heartwarming, funny and touching. Her fierce loyalty to Prince John, the lost prince who suffered epilepsy and quite possibly autism, while the royal family kept him out of public view. 

We have come long way in many ways in the past 100 years whilst we have also forgotten what's important along the way also. So much of what was treasured, valued and important in those days is ridiculed and seen as outdated today.

In all, a brilliant read! I completed it in 3 days I was so addicted. It was like reading a Catherine Cookson, whom I also love, though my main genre is generally murder mysteries procedurals and thrillers. A wonderful enjoyable read. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment